During the Civil War, Bridgnorth in Shropshire was a Royalist stronghold and in 1642 many Royalist troops were garrisoned there. In 1646, Cromwell’s Roundheads arrived with orders to take Bridgnorth for the Parliamentarians from the garrison led by Sir Robert Howard. Following a three-week siege, Cromwell was successful and he ordered that the castle be demolished. By 1647 little of the structure remained. The Parliamentarians left it much as it is today, the stone from the castle being taken and used to repair the town's damaged buildings.
Denominations: Half-crown, shilling, sixpence, groat, threepence, halfgroat. Spink numbers: 3036-3044.