The BNS Coin Gallery
This section of the BNS website contains image galleries for selected coins as well as links to relevant BNJ articles. Coins are selected on the basis of condition, rarity or numismatic interest. Currently galleries are being constructed for the Iron Age through to the end of the Stuarts, and will include hammered Anglo-Gallic, Irish and Scottish coins as well as English. At some future date, the time range coverage will likely be expanded to include later coins and tokens.
In the galleries click on any of the image icons to see the coin and accompanying text. Coins will be added on a regular basis, so please take another look on your next visit to the website.
LATEST UPDATES (Click)
- Feb 4th: Updates to Ireland, Edward I
- Jan 8th: Another gold penny of Henry III added
- Nov 29th: Uploading recommenced with a denarius of Carausius
- April 17th: Richard III penny of Waterford added.
- Nov 4-5: Henry III Provincial Mints (in progress)
- Nov 3rd: Updates to Stephen
- Nov 1-2: Further updates to Henry III
- Oct 30th: Updates to Henry III
- Oct 28th: Ireland - Henry VII & VIII (in progress)
- Oct 27th: Ireland - Edward I
- Oct 26th: Ireland - Charles I
- Oct 25th: Minor updates to Henry I, Charles I
- Oct 3rd: Scotland - John Baliol, Robert the Bruce
- Oct 2nd: Scotland - Alexander II & III
- Oct 1st: Henry III, class 2a
- Sept 23rd: Henry III, class 4
- Sept 13th: Scotland: Price Henry, William the Lion
- Sept 12th: Scotland - David I
- Sept 4th: Commenced work on the Scottish issues
- Aug. 9th: Commenced work on the Henry III long cross section.
- Aug. 8th: Further Edward III, & set up menu structure for Edward II and posthumous Henry III.
- Aug. 4th: Further additions to Edward III - the halfpennies and farthings section
- Apr 29th: Further Iron Age coins added.
- Apr 28th: Added a dozen Iron Age staters.
- Apr 26th: Added several groups of sceattas.
- Apr 25th: Henry VII Facing bust groats.
- Apr 24th: Further additions to Richard III.
- Apr 23rd: Added Groats & half-groats of Richard III.
- Apr 22nd: Anglo-Saxon sections for Eadgar, and Eadward the Martyr, also 4 Dobunni gold staters.
- Apr 20th: Added three Charles I coins - Oxford, Newark and Pontefract.
- Apr 19th Added further Charles I coins of the Bristol mint.
- Apr 18th Charles I Bristol shillings, numerous BNJ refs added, Anglo-Saxon menu structure revised.
- Apr 17th: Adjusted menu structure for Edward I.
- Apr 16th: Added Edward the Confessor - 4 Bristol coins.
- Apr 15th: Added Charles I Halfcrowns from the Bristol mint.
- Apr 14th: Cnut and Harold I additions
- Apr 13th: Added Henry I BNJ References
- Apr 10th: Progressing Henry I section
- Apr 8th: Lancaster-York Menu structure, & progressed Stephen.
- Apr 6th: Tealby pennies
- Apr 5th: Menu structure for Early Plantagenets, background work on Stephen & Matilda
- Apr 4th: Added section on Eadwig, worked on menu structure for the Normans.
- Apr 3rd: Added section on Eadred
- Apr 2nd: Added a Mercian Ludica coin, and a section on Eadmund.
- Apr 1st: Set up menu structure for Danelaw section & Hiberno-Norse Dublin
- Mar 31st: Further Anglo-Saxon coins added
- Mar 28th: Updated Anglo-Saxon coins of East Anglia
- Jan 17th: Anglo-Saxon Northumbria - reference list expanded.
- Jan 16th, 2020: Anglo-Saxon Kings of Kent